Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Week 5 Thing 11 - Web 2.0 Awards Site

Today I took a look at the list of Web 2.0 Award winners. I tried several, but I was particularly impressed with the Last.fm site. I liked listening to music while I worked. I requested music like Billy Joel. I heard one of his songs, and then Last.fm played more songs from other artists (Don Henley, Little River Band, Hall & Oates, James Taylor). This was enjoyable, because I didn't know what would play next. For each song, the user can post a comment. You can see what others are interested in the same music you like. If they set up a library, you can play songs from their library. Likewise, you can set up a library, and see how many and which people are playing your songs. You can click on events to see what concerts are happening. You can read what people thought of the concerts.

For Billy Joel, I clicked on his Biography. This was surprisingly detailed, with a view of his life through his music history. If a song is mentioned, students can use the same site to hear the music or possibly view the video (although many are amatuer from UTube). I think that this would be very helpful to a student doing research. Last.fm can provide a video and audio component to research while you read.

I also tried the Traveler IQ Challenge. I think students will find this really fun. Teachers can post a "high scorers" list for motivation.
http://www.travelpod.com/traveler-iq/game1?f235=938e

No comments: