Sunday, August 24, 2008

Week 6 Thing 14 - Technorati

I checked out Technorati today. I did a search for "school library learning 2.0" and found 896 posts. Under Advanced Search, I used the same search in the tags field, and found only 9 posts. That's a huge difference! I did not find a way to search the Blog Directory as suggested.

I searched popular blog searches and tags. I found that the most popular blog was Boing Boing, with 3, 870 fans. I was surprised that this number was not higher. Boing Boing is a weblog of cultural curiosities and interesting technologies.

The big advantage of tagging is finding information that is of interest to you. Likewise, you can tag your blog to allow more people to find you. Two disadvantages are: the extra step it takes to tag, and that two people might not choose the same tag. As I said in my last post, this would make a good lesson on subject headings used by librarians.

No comments: