Of all of the sites to explore in this course, I was most familiar with You Tube. The video I selected was Abbott and Costello performing the classic "Who's on first?" baseball sketch in their 1945 film "The Naughty Nineties". The reason I selected this video was that today's students are often unfamiliar with popular culture from the previous generation or two. My own 7th grade son was describing something to me last year, and we went round and round before we finally understood each other. I mentioned that it felt like the "Who's on first?" routine. He had no idea what I was talking about. It was great to be able to go to You Tube and find Abbott and Costello's original performance!
As far as application to library websites, I think that anything visual is a hook for students. You Tube is wildly popular, so watching any video related to libraries would be appealing if presented on this site. There is a pair of ladies who do a video each year for the PA Young Reader's Choice Award books for the middle school level. I could have students work on a video promoting this year's elementary lists. You could have students do videos on any library topic. Our fifth graders focus on Newbery books. This could make for interesting video productions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment