Sunday, September 28, 2008

Week 9 Thing 22 - eBooks and Audio eBooks

Today I checked out http://worldebookfair.org/. At first I was surprised to see that joining the World Public Library costs $8.95 per year. (I was thinking that this was a free resource.) However, I scrolled down and found the Project Gutenberg catalog. Here, I could search 30,000 ebook titles, and download them for free. I was curious about the top 100 titles. By clicking on the Top 100 link, I saw the top 100 titles downloaded for yesterday's date. The number one title was Manual of Surgery Volume First: General Surgery. Sixth Edition by Miles and Thomson, with 885 downloads. I looked for children's books, and didn't find one until The Children's Book of Celebrated Pictures by Lorinda Munson Bryant, with 172 downloads.
I also checked to see which titles were added recently. I could only find two for children - from Laura Lee Hope's Bobbsey Twins series.
I think the ebook library is a great idea. However, I searched the Project Gutenberg catalog for "classics" such as Dr. Seuss, Curious George, and Beatrix Potter. I didn't find any of these titles. Perhaps this will be more helpful to me when more of a children's collection develops (for free downloads).

No comments: